June 5, 2012

space

For three months, it has been insanity. Up, down, up, down. It's been a roller coaster of emotions that changed on an hourly basis and couldn't be predetermined. Happy, pissed off, elated, crushed, hopeful, depressed, and hopeful again. I felt like quitting, I felt like punching something, I felt like eating a gallon of ice cream. We definitely ate a few whole pies. I yelled a few times, cried a few times. I realized that I hated all of humanity and even now I'm still waiting for most of it to redeem itself. But after all of that, we finally did what we were beginning to think was impossible:

We found a studio, in New York. Did I mention that it had to be reasonably priced? Yeah.






BOOM! Hello my beauty. We have been waiting with open -- albeit angry -- arms for quite a while now. And even though it has a few major flaws {yeah, we had to settle a little} I finally feel happy. Amelie and I can at last begin our less-cramped lives. I cannot wait to empty out my pile {I stopped calling it a shop when the floorspace stopped calling itself a floor and started going by the name Mt.Wood Stack}. I want an actual work table. I want an actual wall. I want light, and ventilation, and doors that are wider that twenty eight inches. And now we finally have it.

So let me take a second to be grateful to you. I started off building random furniture in the middle of my Brooklyn apartment, with a handful of tools and only a handful of square-footage. I started for myself, for fun, to experiment, and because I wanted a pretty coffee table to put my feet on. And that grew, miraculously, into something greater. I worked really hard, all the time, and somehow, people slowly started finding me and enjoying what I build as much I do. I know that, quite frankly, what inspired most people is that I did this all with virtually no space. I wasn't established, I didn't have expansive machinery and money to spend on materials and high rent. Instead, I was making stuff with normal tools and dusting off my couch every evening. I was lugging heavy wood up and down the rickety roof-hatch ladder to sand it, and hoping it would fit. I even built a few tables in my kitchen, and we couldn't get in to cook dinner those nights. Hey, people would write to me, maybe I can do that too? Yes, yes indeed you can. And now that I'm moving, into a space that I have been dreaming of for months, I want you all to know that nothing is really changing. Sure, I'll have some room to move around instead of stepping over piles of wood everywhere I turn, but it's still just me, with my trustee chop saw, and a pile of old wood I found in the trash.

So I'm going to raise my fake glass of wine I don't have in my hand, and make a cheesy toast to all the other nonexistent glasses of wine you aren't holding {or maybe you are}. A toast to space or no space, to working hard, to growing bigger, to changing where one should change, and staying the same where it's important that one stay the same.

*clink!*

Now drink up! Tomorrow is a big day of moving really heavy crap onto the sixth floor with an elevator that only goes to floor five. Wish us luck!









39 comments:

  1. Caramel Macchiato....*clink*
    Best wishes!
    Eat Cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. How spectacular! I've been following your journey for quite some time now as a fellow wood working woman (I make wood jewelry), and am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! Raising my glass of coffee for you! Congratulations! It looks really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow congrats! Can't wait to see the amazing work and art that will come from your new studio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You really deserved it! Please, keep us updated about your new studio space! Your every post is a true inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cin cin! Congratulations on the next big adventure! Can't wait to see what you create in the new space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome news, Ariele! Space is such a precious gift.
    Hope the move goes well and can't wait to see the place once you're all moved in.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to you both!
    An incredible looking space...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not aware your blog could get more inspiring, i think you just crossed the line. I'm reading this with a floor (and couch) covered in metal and leather scraps, a work area that has grown from a single desk against the wall to more than half of my living room, hoping that maybe someday I can grow to actually have a studio space like this. Bravo woman, you continue to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm so happy that I inspired you to dream about that day in your future! You will get there quite soon :)

      Delete
  10. wishing you the best of luck!! Moving can be pretty sucky, but wow - so exciting! And to think of all that extra space, and lack of wood dust you will have in your apartment now too :) Have fun tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJune 05, 2012

    yee ha !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. way to go! love what you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! That's totally fantastic. Can't wait to see what new wonders you'll produce in your new space.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations! That's fantastic. Can't wait to see what wonders you'll produce in your new space.

      Delete
  14. I don't make furniture but my studio is also my bedroom..two desks, sewing machnine, fabric piles and paper pins thread etc everywhere, mostly on the foor. i used to prcrastinate, but now I just get on with it....however recently I've been allowing myself to dream of a studio without a bed, clothes etc.....so I'm inspired by your post to start looking and stop dreaming.Thank you........although it won't be in Brooklyn as i live in Devon England.....I'd love to live in Brooklyn for a short time though at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, so exciting! Congratulations! I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! Your new studio already looks great, I am sure you will continue to make stunning stuff over there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the midst of a particularly craptastic week as a cubicle monkey, this news gives me hope. Good luck with the move! Might want to make that fake glass of a wine a reality after all that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously excited for you, from whats been shown of your new apartment it looks like an awesome project!

    Can't wait to see your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds like paradise, i'm so happy for you. commitment of time and money to real space and tools for work is when you become a man. ehrm. you know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome!!!! You could do cartwheels in that space! Happy moving and building!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are an inspiration!! I just loaded up my back porch with free wood.. woot woot..score!!

    Yeah, space is so needed as a woodworker. Congratulations on the new place!!

    I am interested in hearing what the landlord will say when you do the finally inspection of the old place for the security deposit. Maybe he/she will give you more money back for the improvements you made :)

    I look forward to seeing your growth in the new place. Congrats!! Take Care!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fan-bloody-tastic! All the best to you in your new slice of heaven, hope it feels like home in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. !!! DUDE!!! SO AWESOME! Sorry for the all caps, but this called for Kanye-like celebrations.

    I'm so, so happy for you. I'm glad that you found the space (or maybe it found you a bit, too?) you were looking for. I know too well the ups and downs of looking for space, any space in NYC (we looked at 33 apartments in the week and a half we first moved here) and the frustrations/elation that happen on a freaking whim, with no warning. Congratulations again, and can't wait to see what you build in the new space!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How incredibly gorgeous that studio is. I know you are going to make it just an awesome haven for your work. You deserve all the attention and the space and the sales you can get—probably more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats!! I love LOVE your work, and I'm excited that you get to bust your butt doing what you love in a nice open space. Change can certainly be good, and it's great when life sends you on unforeseen trajectories!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! Exciting news, can't wait to see more works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  27. congrats sweetie... such an amazing place!!!!
    can't wait to visit you in August to see it for real...
    good luck baby for that new start... and continue please to make us dream!!!!
    big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such an inspiration! I love it when really small adventures start to grow! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats, your work is beautiful! And, next time I'm in the coastal area, I'll be sure to visit your family restaurant. Looking forward to seeing your work in person!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats, can't wait to see the new setup!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i came across your awesomeness on pinterest awhile back & have been stalking since then! i seriously enjoy your blog, it is different & inspiring. can't wait to see future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats with the studio!!!

    Cheers, Anna from Amsterdam

    ps. Finished my first woodworking course inspired by you :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ariele, I think you are wonderful. Your 'cheesy' toast brought tears to my eyes as I raised my cup of coffee in sincere agreement. Situations cannot determine our outpouring of creativity, enginuity, and ultimately: joy. You've inspired me and lifted my spirits, as I too am working out of my apartment, making things I love, dreaming of a someday space. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.