August 22, 2012

A month measured in dust

This month has been crazy. Time is flying past me marked only by how many iced coffee cups pile up around the studio, or how deep the saw dust is that constantly rests on my desk. If sawdust were gold, I'd be wealthy. I would have to give to charity. But as it is I have to sweep a lot. Or leave the dust alone and live with it like it's an obtrusive mold within your walls that you just can't flush out. That's what I get for wanting a proper desk right by a chop saw and in the direct path of my enthusiastically far-spitting planer. You're welcome, Sawdust, oh please, make yourself at home!


























And definitely the most exciting new addition to my shop is that adorable little item you see above. A-DOR-ABLE! So cute, in fact, that I think this band saw needs a name. What should I name it? Is it a she? I think it might be a she. Oh, and we're the same height! It's like we were meant for each other. And she comes with a story -- having traveled all the way from Maine, where my boyfriend's father used it for a number of years in his garage and before that, it was in Rhode Island in the basement-workshop of his grandfather. My hunch is that his grandfather mostly used it for making things relating to electric model trains, as there's quite a number of them flying around in endless circles down there with motionless little figurines hailing for the never-stopping train to stop. I'm sure this little bandsaw cut plenty of pinetree silhouettes or... or.... other things pertaining to model trains, yeah. And now she's with me! I can't even tell you how happy I was when the pickup-bed opened to reveal this beauty inside. They were all hush hush about it and wanted to surprise me. Can I just tell you how great it feels to inherit a power tool from your boyfriends father? It feels great. There's something inherently satisfying about that, like I've overcome, you know, some jibberish about proving myself as a female woodworker yadda yadda.

So to wrap it up, here's a shot of the studio at it's fullest moment in history, probably ever. It made me feel like the studio itself was the piece I was building, and at that moment I had just finished it. I was done and I wanted to leave it just like that, untouched. No packing things up, no mailing things out and saying goodbye to them. I'd just sit in the doorway and survey the completed work, with my empty coffee cups, nameless-bandsaw, and Sawdust at my side.



26 comments:

  1. your studio IS a piece of art. beautiful work, beautiful space

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photographs, your space looks so amazing, what an inspiring place. Perhaps your band saw is called Delia? Delia Homecraft :)

    Bet that was the greatest feeling ever to receive that saw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    for some reason that i can't really articulate at this moment, this was a blog post that simply made me smile. nothing more, nothing less, and perfect just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, Sawdust and Hard Work are regulars around these parts! All for the best. And I can't wait to use your bandsaw to make another puzzle ;)

    See ya in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely lovely lovely! I wish i could move into your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about your studio. I wish i could move in and sleep on the floor..

    ReplyDelete
  7. you and your beautiful pieces make us power-tool loving girls proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely! I especially enjoyed the small square of wood, patterned in the style of your tables, you have hanging on your wall. Do you ever sell those?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bandsaws are the best! She looks to be a very wise soul. She fits in perfectly in your beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know that your vocation, and following your work (and enthusiasm for it!) on this blog makes me really happy. Thanks for being an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ariele, Beautiful space and I love the photos. I'll be one of your groupies..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ariele,
    I LOVE your space & photos. I'll be one of your groupies..hehe
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her name is Dot. Like a grumpy but kind old waitress at a diner serving many kinds of pie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should name her Burke (as in Delta Burke). Cheesy, which is why I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your studio. So awesome and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I have been checking your blog secretly (not in a stalker way) and it is for sure very inspiring and fresh. A piece of art the Starry Night, by Vicent van Gogh, you did with the eucalyptus leafs.

    About the nameless new girl, maybe some old lady name that overflows hospitality for her guests that have as many lives as a cat!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your studio is as gorgeous as your workmanship (workwomanship?)! It's incredibly inspiring that you were able to take your passion and make it work for you, even in this crazy competitive city! It gives me hope :)

    Also- my bf bought me one of your cheeseboards for Christmas last year and I love, LOVE it and always get questions/ compliments about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you ever considered using making dressing (/panel) screens?
    Your patterns would look beautiful in any bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amelie, I'm not sure whether I've commented before, but I want to join the voice of the crowd--your woodwork, photography, direction, and writing are all such a refreshing influence.

    Thanks for exposing such original work.

    Best,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erin! Thanks for your kind words! I'm Ariele but my friend Amelie {I can see how you confused us!} can be seen here:

      http://leftfieldcards.wordpress.com/

      Thanks Erin!

      Delete
  20. Great place, such a beautiful wood patterned surfaces!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, jaw-dropping beautiful! every last detail!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thought of you when I saw this Craigs List ad - guy wants someone to come and take away his BARN for free. Wonder if he'd let you grab the best pieces for the sake of art? http://worcester.craigslist.org/wan/3196433731.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote 'she' .

    You should check out www.owwm.org , i think you might have the vintage machinery bug.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. Your work is just so inspirational I cant even stand it!!! Beautiful, beautiful, and beautiful. One quick construction question- how do you attach the legs to your headboards? Hope to hear from you!

    Cheers,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.